• Pastry is 12oz maize flour
• 4oz Potato flour
• 1 egg
• 1 table spoon of Xantham gum
• Milk (to bind to soft dough)
• Egg wash
• Pastry lines dish and piece for top.
• 4oz of margarine
• 4oz of trex or lard.
• Diced potatoes
• Chicken Pieces
• Bacon Pieces
• Cream and cream cheese
• Corn flour
Mix fat and flours to breadcrumb stage, add egg and milk to form a soft but firm dough, place dough in the fridge to rest, i do find the longer the dough rested the better it is( i left overnight) although can be used straight away.
• In a pan, gently fry 1 onion, 3 chicken breast diced ( thigh and leg meat just as good), 4 rashers bacon diced ( ham or panchetta pieces just as good) add tea spoon mustard seed, salt and pepper to taste.
• Then add 2 leeks sliced, mix in 200ml (1 carton) double cream.
• In a separate pan boil 1 large potato diced and 2 carrots diced, for approx. 10 mins and drain.
• Add the potatoes and carrots into the pan containing the chicken and add 4oz soft cream cheese, check seasoning to your taste, add a handful of peas , then if required a small amount corn flour to thicken.
• Roll pastry out for base, as you can see i have used a quiche tray, i chose to blind bake the base for 10 minutes (optional ) , place filling in the base, roll top pastry and cover pie, egg wash, remember to put a little hole in the middle of top to allow stram out and then cook on 180 Celsius for approx 35 mins until golden brown.
• As you will be aware i like to pack the pie as full as can with filling that is my choice as nothing so disappointing as a pie with the odd bit of meat and gravy in.
By Michelle Humpreys Cotton